There’s a lot of reasons to love living in the Surprise, AZ area. Great weather – most of the time. A strong economy, lots of stuff to do. No tornadoes or earthquakes to speak of. Spring Training baseball and much more. There’s just one little thing that most folks aren’t too crazy about: scorpions.
It’s just a fact of nature that if we’re going to live here, we’re going to live with scorpions. Of course it’s one thing for them to be in the yard. It’s quite another when scorpions are in our home. It’s uncomfortable, knowing that you could step on one in the middle of the night or lay down on one in bed and get stung. If you have a consistent scorpion problem in your home it’s kind of like being held prisoner. By a roughly 2″ long monster!
There is good news when it comes to scorpions, tho. First, they do eat other bugs (they LOVE crickets!) and that’s always a good thing. Of course a good pest control technician can take care of any bug problems you may have, too, and hopefully he’s not as creepy as a scorpion. If he is then you definitely want to give us a call right away!
In general terms, it’s only the Bark Scorpion or centruroides sculpturatus that invade our homes. Out of the 40+ known species of scorpions in Arizona, it’s the only one that can climb a vertical surface. Since most of the time it would require at least a short climb to get in our home, that rules out all other species of local scorpions as major indoor pests here in Surprise Arizona. The bark Scorpion can climb walls and/or fences and can even walk across the ceiling without falling. It can also climb into a shoe or boot, up into clothing hanging in a closet or even into your bed. It’s looking for a place to hide and any tight, private spot will do.
Scorpion control, especially as it pertains to bark scorpions, can be a bit tricky. Here are a few things that matter when it comes to scorpions:
- The type of construction of the home – block is generally better than wood frame as far as disallowing entry.
- The way the landscaping is done – medium to large river rocks, mulch, and planters can harbor scorpions and other pests that may attract scorpions. The amount of moisture available is also a big factor.
- Clutter or stuff in the yard, garage or inside areas of the home. The more stuff you have – especially stuff that never gets moved around – the more places for scorpions and other bugs to hide out.
- How many crickets and other little moving scorpion meals are there around your home? Every critter – including scorpions – are looking for supper.
- Do you have a regular pest control service and is it any good? If your pest control person isn’t getting the scorpions under control find someone else.
- The weather and time of the year also play major roles in the intensity of a scorpion problem. When it gets cold scorpions slow way down and aren’t as active. But they want to get in where it’s warm. 90 degrees and above is scorpion season and the time of year when they get real active.
- Has you home ever been professionally sealed? Anyone who knows anything about scorpion control knows that a really good scorpion seal is the single most effective thing that can be done for long term scorpion control. Here’s a couple of resources if you want more info about scorpion sealing:
Scorpions are tough and you need a good pest control company to deal with them. Regular service is critical and a good home seal is recommended. Scorpion hunting at night with a black light is an excellent way to help keep the population down. Night lights along paths to the kitchen and bathroom are a great idea as scorpions may be less apt to hang around those areas if there’s light. That means you’re less apt to get stung if you get up at night. Always shake out clothing before putting it on and bedding before getting into bed. Don’t leave doors open and double check anything you’re bringing in from outside or the garage before bringing it in. Sticky traps along walls – especially on both sides of doors to the garage or outside – are a great tool for scorpion control. Not only do they catch scorpions (and other bugs) but they also work as monitoring devices, letting you see what areas of your home have more scorpion activity.
We do scorpion control and we do it well. And we guarantee it. Let us give you a free quote for a scorpion problem in Surprise AZ or anywhere nearby. We’ll send the scorpions packing for you.